Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Where are the laundry baskets?

Hellooooooooooooooo
Today will be another day of organizing. We are getting cable and internet sometime today! (Right now we're stealing it) Then I have to sort out getting BC plates for Umberto. Sigh. I think I have to get the stupid new ones that say "the best place on earth". I'm going to stick a label on before Best saying "Second". Do you think that's against the law? License plate tampering? I guess I'll find out. Then I have to get new insurance, and maybe a parking permit. The streets around our house are pretty sweet cause you can park for free 24 hrs a day except one half of the street in front of our house, where you can buy a permit and then only residents of 2300 block (we're 2322) can park there. I think it's like $10 but really I'm just making that up. So yeah we don't need a permit unless we want to be able to park right in front of the house.

I rode my bike yesterday for the first time since I got here!! Twice! Once to EQ3, where we realized that biking on West Broadway (the main street) is stupid because the traffic lights here change about once every 5 seconds to red. Driving in this city SUCKS but that's another boring story. So on our way home we went via side streets and it was sooooooooooooooo much better. There are very few 4-way stops here, which I'm still getting used to -- it's just ingrained in me to stop at every freaking intersection -- but there are a lot of little roundabouts. And there are a lot more hills here. So far I haven't encountered one that I couldn't make it up, but I've seen them out the car window and it doesn't look pleasant.

Soooooooooo MY KITTIES ARE HERE! Yayyyyyyy allergies, how I missed you! Just kidding, of course it's a small price to pay for these little bundles of furry love. We went to get them on Saturday from the WestJet cargo building, as my parents put them on a plane in Toronto for us to pick up. We'd decided to put them in the same carrier, which some people seemed a bit worried about, but I knew they would just keep each other company and it would be fine. Monster looked pretty traumatised when we got the cage but Grumble was all "what's up guys?" and was ready to come out and see the world right away. We got the carrier to the car and opened the door and they both came out right away -- Monster hid under the seat the whole time and Grumble sat on Colin's lap and looked out the window. Once he decided to be a dashboard ornament and laid up beside the windshield for a bit, but the slope probably made it a bit challenging. Then when we got them home, it was the opposite. Monster was all about exploring, whereas Grumble headed for under the bed and hung out there for hours. They kept us up the first night, but the past two nights has gone back to the normal Grumble spooning with me for the first part of the night, then he gets up and goes somewhere else, and then by the morning he's sleeping on top of me somewhere. Monster wasn't big on the co-sleeping thing before, so I'm not surprised that he's not been sleeping with us yet. We don't know what to do with the litter though...we only literally have one closet at this new place, and that'll be holding a lot of clothing. So far, we've put it in the 2nd bathroom, but that happens to be down with our bedroom, so we've woken up once every night to litter box scratching. Maybe we'll have to build a little cupboard for them or something. I can't find the camera cable right now so I can't upload any of the cute photos I took of them with their halloween catnip pouches.

I can't type much more because I'm sitting on the hardwood floor and my butt is going numb. I could maybe stretch it to the futon, but that's almost worse. We need couches SO BADLY. I think we might have to get a cheap one off Craigslist to tide us over while we wait the 4 weeks or whatever that the order takes to arrive. Not that we've even ordered anything yet, but let's not discuss that.

Two more things though: having a dishwasher is so fantastic. I can't stress it enough!!! It makes cooking more enjoyable, and cleaning up so easy, and I think it might save some relationships out there somewhere. You should all look into it. It's lifechanging. :)

Second: GET SKYPE!!! Seriously!!! And keep it signed in when you're home!!! My mom keeps hers on and yesterday I called her randomly, just like a normal phone call! Jen and Carla and I chatted and I got to see them too! I can give you a tour of my house with the webcam! You can say hi to Monster and Grumble!! And it's all free. FREE. So get yourselves a webcam or headset or whatever, and SIGN UP. You can search for me with my gmail address.

Okay breakfast time.
bye for now :)

1 comment:

APEX said...

can't wait to skype...tonight??